Safety, Security & Elections Committee Minutes: June 6, 2017

Hidden Valley Lake Safety, Security & Elections Committee
Meeting Minutes
June 6, 2017

Chair Bonnie Starks called meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.

Members Present: Tom Carrell, Becky Lortz, Bonnie Starks and Pat Sutton.

Members Absent: Ginny Boyer, Don Norris and Steve Siereveld.

Board Liaison Present: None.

Guests Present: HVL Community Manager Bruce Keller and Sue Sorensen (Lot 2157).

Minutes presented by: Becky Lortz (for April, 2017 meeting). Corrections required: One (a date change from May to June.)

Motion to accept as presented: Tom Carrell.
Seconded by Pat Sutton.
Vote count: 4-0-0.

Treasurer’s Report: N/A

Guest Issues: Bonnie welcomed Sue Sorensen to our meeting. Sue is very concerned about speeding on HVL streets and roads. Lengthy discussion ensued about this on-going problem. Sue suggested that our deputies not issue warnings to speeding drivers but ticket them immediately. Bruce said drivers going between 25 and 35 mph receive warnings. Driving 36 mph and over means they receive tickets immediately. Bruce also asked Sue to send him a list of trouble spots and he will have Chief Deputy Dave Wismann run his radar checks at those locations. Sue also asked about the problem with passing school busses. Could a school bus stop positioned in the middle of a street so the bus couldn’t be passed on either side? Bruce will contact the District Superintendent and see about this suggestion. He will also check to see if cameras are in the school buses yet.

Community Manager’s Report:

  • Golf Carts to Willie’s Dock – Bruce is working with Steve VanWassenhove on a solution to this situation regarding accessibility to the boats that use the docking sites at Willie’s.
  • House Number Identification – Chief Deputy Dave Wismann is working on checking houses in HVL whose owners need to improve how their homes are identified.

Deputies/Lake Patrol Report: Community Manager Bruce Keller presented the May, 2017 Security Mileage/Gallons-Shift Report.

Current/Active Business:

  • New HVL Internet Site Update – Pat told us the site is up and running well. Remember to check regularly. So far we have fifty ads.
  • Git R Ready Videos – Steve sent Bonnie an e-mail (6/6/17) giving her details on how to place the preparedness videos on the HVL web site. Bonnie will work with Kathy Wirth to accomplish this task. More details will be discussed at our August meeting.
  • Community Master Plan (CMP) Update and Echoes Article for Next Edition – Becky reported that our section (CMP – IV) had been submitted and accepted. We need to remember to use the tasks listed in IV as guidelines for our committee activities throughout 2017-2018. We will review and update IV every year. Becky just wrote the June Echoes article focusing on Home Identification (IV – G – 1 and 2).
  • Dearborn County Council and Sirens System – Bonnie reported on the visit to the Dearborn County Council meeting on 5/2/17. Bonnie and Bob Starks, Don Norris and Becky Lortz represented HVL. We were very pleased at the positive response we received and also that the Council voted at that meeting to continue funding the siren system. Bonnie passed around a copy of the Dearborn County Register newspaper (5/11/17) that reported about the meeting and HVL participation.
  • Address ID – Bruce told us in his report that Dave Wismann had toured HVL and at that time found ten residences with no visible identification of any type. Bruce will send those property owners each a letter suggesting they post identifying house numbers and why it is important that they do this.
  • Neighborhood Watch – Tom Carrell reported he is working on this project with Lee Steczynski and that it is a work in progress.

New Business:

  • Needed: Vice Chair for Elections Subcommittee – Bonnie said the Elections Subcommittee needs a Vice Chair. Pat volunteered to fill that position. We unanimously welcomed her to that role.
  • Echoes Article – Becky wrote the June article. Steve will write the July article and Bonnie will write the August article.

Action Items for Committee Members: For Bonnie – 1) Work with Kathy Wirth to get Emergency Preparedness videos on HVL web site. 2) Advise Steve Siereveld to focus his July Echoes article on the Emergency Preparedness videos. For Tom – Meet with Lee Steczynski to consider feasibility of Neighborhood Watch program for HVL. For Steve – 1) Work with Bruce on creating Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plans for the HVL community using the Dearborn County plans as a reference. For All Committee Members – Review Section IV of the CMP and recommend what part we work on next. Discuss at our August meeting.

Action Items for the Board of Directors’ Meeting: None.

Meeting adjourned by Bonnie Starks at 7:30 p.m. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. Remember: We are now meeting on the first Tuesday of every other month and our start time is 6:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Lortz, Secretary

Keep In Touch

Sign up to receive the latest news and updates from Hidden Valley Lake.