Safety, Security & Elections Committee Minutes: February 7, 2017

Hidden Valley Lake Safety, Security and Elections Committee
Meeting Minutes
February 7, 2017

Meeting was called to order by Chair Bonnie Starks at 6:30 p.m.

Members Present: Becky Lortz, Steve Siereveld, Bonnie Starks and Pat Sutton.

Members Absent: Ginny Boyer and Tom Carrell.

Board Liaison Present: Bill Minnery (Lot 2323).

Guests Present: HVL Community Manager Bruce Keller and Don Norris (Lot 1379).

Minutes presented by: Becky Lortz (for December 2016 meeting). Corrections required: None.

Motion to accept as presented:
Pat Sutton
Seconded by Steve Siereveld
Vote count: 4-0-0

Treasurer’s Report: N/A

Guest Issues: Bonnie welcomed Don Norris to our meeting. She had asked him to consider joining our committee and he accepted her invitation. Since he has been involved with our committee before working on emergency management projects (especially with ham radio focus), we unanimously agreed to add him to our committee. The intra-committee vote was 4-0-0. Welcome Don!

Community Manager’s Report:

  • CPR Class – Bruce is working with Laura Pruitt to schedule a CPR class for interested HVL residents. The dates being considered are Feb. 27 or 28 or March 1, 2017.
  • Meeting with Jason Sullivan – In talking with Dearborn County Emergency Management Director Jason Sullivan, Bruce learned a Dearborn County Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan was produced in July 2015. Bruce now has a copy of this document in his office. Also – Jason offered to give our committee and Bruce a tour of his office on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9 a.m. We will meet at the HVL Community Building at 8:30 a.m. and proceed from there to Jason’s office.
  • Traffic Signs for HVL – Bruce has ordered 20 new stop signs, 12 new speed limit signs and 8 new rolling stop signs for our HVL streets and roads. These are necessary after consulting with Todd Listerman in November 2016. These new signs will bring us into compliance with new requirements.

Deputies/Lake Patrol Report: Community Manager Bruce Keller presented the January/Year-to-Date 2017 Report (see attached). Because speeding in HVL is a mainly seasonal problem, the bad weather has reduced the occurrence of speeding offenses.

Current/Active Business:

  • Review of Community Master Plan (CMP) – There was considerable discussion regarding the review and update of Section IV of the Community Master Plan (CMP). Suggestions were all considered and a consensus was reached about the revised and updated document we will send on to the Future Planning Committee. In an intra-committee motion Steve moved we accept our revised CMP, Section IV. Pat seconded the motion and it passed 5-0-0. Becky will write the revised Section IV up and submit it to the Future Planning Committee. She will also distribute copies to our committee.
  • Any New Interested Committee Members? Don Norris has expressed interest and joined our committee this evening. He has a friend who will come to our April meeting. He is possibly interested in joining. No other residents who have been contacted have responded.
  • New HVL Internet Site Update – Pat said the new site is up and running. She encouraged everyone to check it out.
  • Git R Ready Videos – Steve said there are 6 videos featuring different emergency situations. He is working to have them posted on the HVL Web site.
  • Echoes Articles and Schedule – In discussing an Echoes schedule involving all S,S&E members, Bonnie pointed out that Tom Carrell had enough material in his article not only for February but also for March and April so Becky will write the article for May. Becky will assemble the 2017 Echoes Article List and distribute. Also Gina Keller asked that Kathy Wirth be copied when articles are submitted so she could post the articles on the HVL Web site.

New Business:

  • Article in Dearborn County Register – Becky showed everyone an article from this local newspaper about Dearborn County’s outdoor emergency sirens and their effectiveness. We agreed we need to monitor the situation. Don Norris commented that there are a number of on-line apps that alert people about emergency situations.
  • Echoes Articles – See topic under Current/Active Business.

Action Items for Committee Members: For Bonnie and Tom – 1) Work on articles for the Echoes. 2) Monitor responses to Neighborhood Watch suggestion. For Steve – 1) Continue work on arranging for Emergency Preparedness videos to be posted on the new HVL Web site. 2) Work with Bruce on creating Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plans for the HVL community using the Dearborn County plans as a reference. For Becky – Write up the revised Section IV of the Community Master Plan (CMP) and submit it to the Future Planning Committee. For All Committee Members – If personal schedules permit, join fellow committee members and Bruce for a visit with Jason Sullivan on March 14, 2017.

Action Items for the Board of Directors’ Meeting: One. The Safety, Security and Elections Committee has a new committee member. We welcomed Don Norris as an addition to our group on February 7, 2017.

Meeting adjourned by Bonnie Starks at 8 p.m. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. Remember: We are now meeting on the first Tuesday of every other month and our start time is 6:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Lortz, Secretary

Keep In Touch

Sign up to receive the latest news and updates from Hidden Valley Lake.