Safety, Security & Elections Committee Minutes: August 1, 2017

Hidden Valley Lake
Safety, Security and Elections Committee
Meeting Minutes

August 1, 2017

Meeting was called to order by Chair Bonnie Starks at 6:35 p.m.

Members Present: Tom Carrell, Becky Lortz, Don Norris, Bonnie Starks and Pat Sutton.

Members Absent: Ginny Boyer and Steve Siereveld.

Board Liaison Present: Bill Minnery.

Guests Present: HVL Community Manager Bruce Keller.

Minutes presented by: Becky Lortz (for June 2017 meeting). Corrections required: None.

Motion to accept as presented: Pat Sutton.
Seconded by Tom Carrell.
Vote count: 5-0-0.

Treasurer’s Report: N/A

Guest Issues: None.

Community Manager’s Report:

  • Stripes on Roads – This year’s paving contract will include solid white lines at each stop sign on our primary roads.
  • Railroad Ties at the Beach – The HVL maintenance staff will place a second row of railroad ties at the beach between the parking lot and the hill. This will make parking in the beach lot safer and also improve drainage. The project will be finished this fall. We thanked Bruce for implementing this plan that we had recommended.
  • Handicap Parking at Willie’s – The maintenance staff is working on a project to provide additional handicap parking spots and space for golf carts. The surface will be gravel for now and a hard surface will be put in after necessary settling occurs.
  • Rental Agreement – Bruce is working on developing a Renters/Renters Amenity Agreement. He asked that S,S&E members review the proposed document and send opinions to Bonnie (also any related questions, suggestions or comments). It will be presented at the next POA Board meeting. Because it is a form it does not require two readings.
  • Address ID – Chief Deputy Dave Wismann checked houses in HVL for visible identifying numbers. He found only a few that needed upgrades. Bruce will send those residents letters encouraging them to improve the type of ID on their homes.

Deputies/Lake Patrol Report: Community Manager Bruce Keller presented the June/July 2017 Report (see attached). HVL residents have called in 62 suspicious activity concerns since the beginning of 2017. The deputies appreciate the residents’ concerns because the calls are helpful. Cameras in the HVL deputy vehicles are still being considered..

Current/Active Business:

  • HVL Internet Site Update – Pat Sutton said usage of the site is going well. Advertisers are being contacted to encourage continued participation in the coming year.
  • Steve’s Git R Ready Videos and Echoes Articles Discussion – Our Echoes articles should highlight these videos to encourage viewing of them. Perhaps illustrations could be used? Bonnie reviewed Episodes 1 & 2 in her article for August.
  • Need Barrier at Stop Sign by VRUC Drop-off – Bonnie voiced her ongoing concern about the intersection of Longview and Alpine. We discussed the need for some type of warning to be aware of the drop-off. Bruce said the slope is so extreme that additional barriers can’t be placed on the hillside other than the reflective stop sign already in place. Bruce will talk to Floyd Ogden about other types of barriers – perhaps trees?
  • Dan Tester and Address ID –See Community Manager’s Report.
  • Neighborhood Watch – Tom Carrell met with Lee Steczynski to discuss this project. Lee is interested in another approach (Citizens on Patrol) so Tom will talk with Dave Wismann to see about possible approaches to this project.

New Business:

  • Renter/Renters Amenity Agreement – See Community Manager’s Report.
  • Echoes Article – Becky reminded us that Pat will write the article for September and Ginny Boyer will write the article for October. For the next several months the topic of each article will focus on the emergency preparedness videos.

Action Items for Committee Members: For Bonnie – Work with committee members and Bruce on Renter/Renters Amenity Agreement document. Prepare for presentation to POA Board. For Tom – Meet with Dave Wismann to consider feasibility of Neighborhood Watch program for HVL. For All Committee Members – Read draft of Renter/Renters Agreement. Contact Bonnie with any comments, suggestions, questions.

Action Items for the Board of Directors’ Meeting: One. Present Renters/Renters Amenity Agreement.

Meeting adjourned by Bonnie Starks at 7:35 p.m.

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. Remember: We are now meeting on the first Tuesday of every other month and our start time is 6:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Lortz, Secretary

ACTION REQUIRED

Take a moment and update your personal information