Safety, Security & Elections Committee Minutes: April 4, 2017

Hidden Valley Lake Safety, Security and Elections Committee
Meeting Minutes
April 4, 2017

Meeting was called to order by Chair Bonnie Starks at 6:30 p.m.

Members Present: Tom Carrell, Becky Lortz, Don Norris and Bonnie Starks.

Members Absent: Ginny Boyer, Steve Siereveld and Pat Sutton.

Board Liaison Present: None.

Guests Present: HVL Community Manager Bruce Keller and Lee Steczynski (Lot 1871).

Minutes presented by: Becky Lortz (for February 2017 meeting). Corrections required: None.

  • Motion to accept as presented: Bonnie Starks.
  • Seconded by Don Norris.
  • Vote count: 4-0-0.

Guest Issues: Bonnie welcomed Lee Steczynski to our meeting. Lee is interested in a Neighborhood Watch program for HVL. He is concerned about negative behaviors in our community. Tom Carrell suggested that he and Lee meet to share ideas about the program and how it would work out here. They will report back at our June meeting.

Community Manager’s Report:

  • Traffic Signs for HVL – The new traffic signs are in place. Responses from HVL residents to these new signs have been very positive with only a few negative comments.

Deputies/Lake Patrol Report: Community Manager Bruce Keller presented the February and March/Year to Date 2017 Report (see attached).

  • In March there were 55 Traffic Stops.
  • Animal Problems continue to be reported.
  • There were 8 incidents in March.

Current/Active Business:

  • New HVL Website Update – No report. Pat Sutton will give an update at our June meeting.
  • Git R Ready Videos – No report. Steve Siereveld will give an update at our June meeting.
  • Community Master Plan (CMP) Update – Becky reported that the final copy of the revised and updated Safety-related part of the CMP (Section IV) has been finalized and sent to the Future Planning Committee.

New Business:

  • Dearborn County Council and Sirens System – Bonnie and Becky talked about their visit with Dearborn County Emergency Management Director Jason Sullivan on March 14, 2017. Bonnie also discussed the situation with notifying county residents about weather-related and other types of emergencies. Dearborn County Council members are studying different systems for delivering these messages to residents and what would be the most effective method to use. S,S&E members think several methods should be used (i.e. sirens, different types of social media using Rave Alert and Smart 911). After discussion we agreed that Bonnie will write a letter to Council members stating our opinion that several notification methods are needed. S,S&E members and POA Board members will sign the letter and Bonnie will e-mail the document to the Council members. We also agreed we should attend the next Council meeting to emphasize our support for sirens plus social media. Bonnie will also take hard copies of our letter to give to the Council members. The meeting will be on Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Lawrenceburg Administration Building. Bonnie encouraged us all to attend if possible. She will send out a reminder e-mail.
  • Residence Identification Program – One of the CMP-related programs involves “visible from the street” addresses identifying HVL homes. Bonnie asked Bruce if Dan Tester might be able to observe addresses as he makes other inspections in HVL. A process would be developed to notify residents if their locations did not meet this suggested safety need. Bruce will discuss this project with Dan and report back at our June meeting. Docks were also mentioned. Do they need house numbers (or lot numbers) for identification?
  • Echoes Articles – Becky passed out the Echoes Article Schedules for 2017. Tom Carrell/Bonnie Starks will write the article for April. Don Norris will write the May article on tornadoes. Becky Lortz will write the June article on HVL residence identification.

Action Items for Committee Members: For Bonnie – 1) Write letter to Dearborn County Council members, have S.S&E and POA Board members sign it and send via e-mail. 2) Organize attendance for Dearborn County Council meeting (5/2/17). For Tom – Meet with Lee Steczynski to consider feasibility of Neighborhood Watch program for HVL. For Steve – 1) Continue work on arranging for Emergency Preparedness videos to be posted on the new HVL Web site. 2) Work with Bruce on creating Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plans for the HVL community using the Dearborn County plans as a reference. For Pat – Report at June meeting on the new HVL Website. For All Committee Members – If personal schedules permit, join fellow committee members and POA Board members and attend the Dearborn County Council meeting on Tuesday, 5/2/17.

Action Items for the Board of Directors’ Meeting: None.

Meeting adjourned by Bonnie Starks at 7:30 p.m.

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. Remember: We are now meeting on the first Tuesday of every other month and our start time is 6:30 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Lortz, Secretary

ACTION REQUIRED

Take a moment and update your personal information