Safety, Security & Elections Committee Minutes: December 1, 2016

Hidden Valley Lake Safety, Security & Elections Committee
Meeting Minutes
Dec. 1, 2016

Meeting was called to order by Chair Bonnie Starks at 6:30 PM.  Bonnie welcomed Tom Carrell to our committee as a new member.

Members Present: Ginny Boyer, Tom Carrell, Becky Lortz, Steve Siereveld, Bonnie Starks and Pat Sutton.

Members Absent: None.

Board Liaison Present: Bill Minnery (Lot 2323).

Guests Present:  HVL Community Manager Bruce Keller and Bob Starks (Lot 2800).

Minutes presented by: Becky Lortz (for November 2016 meeting).  Corrections required: None.

Motion to accept as presented: Tom Carrell. Seconded by Pat Sutton. Vote count: 6-0-0.

Treasurer’s Report: N/A

Guest Issues: None.

Community Manager’s Report: 

  • Meeting with Dearborn County Engineer – Bruce met with Todd Listerman on Wednesday, November 9. They toured HVL streets and roads to evaluate our current traffic signs and speed bumps.  Todd had suggestions for updating our signs and recommendations for wording and placement (see attached HVL map and e-mail dated  November 10,  2016 for details.)  After committee discussion Steve Siereveld moved we accept the report and recommendations.  Tom seconded this intra-committee motion and it passed 6-0-0.  Bruce will begin work on implementing these recommendations. 

Deputies/Lake Patrol Report:

  • Community Manager Bruce Keller presented the November/Year to Date 2016 Report (see attached).  He also said all three vehicles that were recently purchased for our deputies to drive while on duty are in operation.

Current/Active Business: 

  • Review of Community Master Plan (CMP) – Becky gave a brief history of the CMP Project. Following that we reviewed Section IV to be sure it was relevant to our HVL community safety situations and worked on revising it as necessary.  Bonnie led this discussion.  We decided the document needed to be written using a more positive approach (see attached rough draft.)  We agreed that Steve will work with Bruce to develop a Hazard and Risk Assessment List and a Community Mitigation Plan to address the identified risks.  The Emergency Operations Plan will be adapted to be useful in other types of disasters.  Bruce will contact Jason Sullivan to find out what plans are being used now.  Bruce will discuss that plan with us at our February meeting. We then discussed other changes needed in Section IV and made suggestions for revision.  Becky will create a rough draft of Section IV and distribute to committee members to review before our next meeting.  We will discuss the document in February, accept it and send it on to the Future Planning Committee ASAP.
  • Git R Ready Videos – Steve is continuing to work on getting permission to feature the films on our HVL Web site.
  • New Committee Members – Bonnie encouraged everyone to continue working on recruiting new members for S,S&E. Steve Newsom and Don Norris have expressed interest in attending meetings in 2017.
  • Pat Sutton’s Call to the Sheriff – When Pat made this contact she was told there were no speakers available.
  • Flyers for “Welcome Baskets “- We looked at a Safety flyer used in the past. It can be updated if we would like to re-use it.  No decision was made.

New Business:

  • Echoes Articles – Ginny will write the article for January. A new schedule will be discussed in February.

Action Items for Committee Members:  For Bonnie – Work with Community Manager Bruce Keller to encourage the Task Force volunteers to schedule a meeting and begin their work.  For Steve – 1) Continue work on finding a video that focuses on emergency preparedness to post on the new HVL Web site. 2) Work with Bruce on creating Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plans for the HVL community.  For All Committee Members – 1) Contact HVL residents who may be potential new committee members.  Invite them to join us at our February meeting.  2) Review draft of revision changes suggested for Section IV of the Community Master Plan (CMP). Notify Becky of any questions or suggestions.  If necessary, a revised copy of the draft will be created.  Be ready to discuss this project at our February meeting.

Action Items for the Board of Directors’ Meeting:  None.

 Meeting adjourned by Bonnie Starks at 8:20 PM.  Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 6:30 PM.  Note:  new date – first Tuesday of the month – and start time continues at 6:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Becky Lortz, Secretary

Keep In Touch

Sign up to receive the latest news and updates from Hidden Valley Lake.