Trash & Recycling

Blue Jay Perching – Hidden Valley Lake

Hidden Valley Lake is pleased to partner with Rumpke for waste and recycling collection service, included in your POA dues.

Trash Pickup Schedule:

• See the Trash Pickup Schedule for the collection day for your street. Please place trash at the curb the night before your scheduled collection.
• Collection service continues on holidays except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
• Trash service includes the collection of one large or bulky item (such as televisions, furniture or appliances) each week. Please contact the POA Office at least 2 days before your scheduled collection day to arrange pick-up.
• Trash service includes weekly curbside collection of six 35-gallon trashcans or bags. Trash containers should not exceed 50 pounds. An additional four cans or bags can be collected, if advance notice is provided.
• According to federal law, Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials or any items identified as hazardous.
• Residents can request the use of a 65- or 96-gallon Rumpke trash cart, at no additional cost. Additional trash carts are available to lease for $3.50 per month. 

Recycling Collection:

• Recycling collection is on Thursdays only. Please place recycling at the curb on Wednesday evening.
• The POA Office provides the use of a 65- or 96-gallon recycling cart to each HVL residence.
• Bulky materials including drywall, concrete, bricks, dirt or rocks are not acceptable.
• Freon containing appliances (such as refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners) require special handling procedures and will only be collected if a certified CFC removal sticker is affixed to it. Please contact a heating and air conditioning service provider for information regarding proper CFC removal.
• Loose shrubbery or lumber must be bundled and tied in lengths no larger than 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. Bundles should not exceed 50 pounds. Leaves and grass must be placed in bags.
• Drums, barrels and boxes aren’t acceptable trash containers and will be assumed trash. Rumpke will not replace these containers.

Acceptable for Recycling:

• Plastic bottles and jugs
• Glass bottles and jars
• Aluminum cans
• Steel cans and lids
• Paperboard (like cereal boxes)
• Cardboard

• Office paper
• Envelopes and junk mail
• Newspapers, magazines and inserts
• Telephone books and catalogs
• Cartons

Dearborn County Recycling Center

Dearborn County residents may also recycle large items or hazardous materials at the Dearborn County Recycling Center. You may drop off labeled unwanted (and unknown) chemical products during the hours listed below.

Hazardous Household Waste (HHW) includes any unusable product that can be hazardous to animals, humans or the environment if it is not disposed of properly. This includes garden and pool chemicals, oil-based products, cleaning products, auto fluids, solvents and even makeup. Larger items like appliances and electronics are also accepted for a slight processing fee. See the complete list below or on the center’s website.

Remember, you should never put HHW products into your regular Rumpke trash collection bin, down the drain, or in a burn barrel. Do not spread any products on the ground or roadways as they will seep into the ground and into our beautiful lake.

10700 Prospect Lane, off Route 50
Aurora, IN, 47001
Monday – Friday | 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Drive thru:
Monday – Friday | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Wednesday | 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Dearborn County Recycling Center Hazardous Household Waste Chart

Yard Waste Collection Site

The Natural Resources Management Program provides Hidden Valley Lake POA members the use of a yard waste collection site to dispose of brush, leaves, small tree branches, and grass clippings. Please do not dump on HVL vacant lots, ravines or greenspaces. Decaying organic materials can lead to contaminated runoff that ultimately enters our lakes and streams creating oxygen deficits in the water. 

The Yard waste location is open twice a year.  Being this is a test program, please call POA office regarding dates the Yard Waste is open.  Once the test program is completed, we will keep residents updated on Yard Waste Open Dates.

We ask that you place only yard waste (no bags, no other trash) in the marked area.  either keep your yard waste at home or dispose of it in some other manner until we open the area up again.

Grass clippings
Small branches

Not accepted:
Plastic garbage bags
Treated lumber
Branches with nails
Food waste


Internet/Phone/TV: (orange flags)

• Comcast1-800-XFINITY
• Century Link866-770-1479
• Alta Fiber (Fiber Optics)  513.240.7009
• DirecTV  (satellite): 1-800-567-1663
• DishTV (satellite): 1-800-676-1329
• SEI Fiber (Fiber Optics) 812-689-4111

Electric: (red flags)

• REMC (Rural Electric Membership Corp.):

Water & Sewer: (blue flags)

• VRUC (Valley Rural Utility Company): (812) 539-3330
• General Manager, Bill Neyer, 

Natural Gas: (yellow flags)

• Utility Pipeline LTD
• Non-emergency: 888-863-0032
• 24-hour gas emergencies: 888-784-6160

Propane Gas: Contact your propane provider.

Call 811 Before You Dig

To preserve the natural beauty of the terrain in Hidden Valley Lake, water, sewer, gas electric, cable and telephone lines are underground. Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or mailbox? Homeowners and excavators are required by law to call before you dig.

You must call at least 48 hours in advance of digging. It is a free call and there is no cost to the homeowner to have underground utilities located. The utility companies will mark the underground facilities with paint and flags. Allow two full working days for lines to be marked. Dig test holes carefully to determine the exact location and depth of the buried utility. Damage to natural gas lines may cause leakage resulting in fire or explosion.


Avoid wait times on the phone by using to enter your request for single property utility line marking. Follow the instructions on the webpage. You must disable pop-up blockers to successfully use this site.Bill

Now is the best time to sign up for Automatic Monthly Dues Payments

  • Pay your January 2024 dues in full by 1/31/2024.
  • Fill out the form to begin monthly payments toward your July 2024 dues on the 15th of each month beginning February 15th.

Sign up forms need to be received by February 7th, 2024.

Email to, send by mail, place in the secure drop box, or bring into the POA office.

Example of a monthly payment:  If your semi-annual dues are $563.50 your monthly automatic payments will be $ 93.92 each month.