Hidden Valley Lake Property Owners Association
Board of Directors Meeting
June 23, 2016
Board of Directors Present: Pat Hawkins, Tom Hamilton, Bill Minnery, Robert Starks, Donna Yetzer
Board of Directors Absent: None
Community Manager Present: Bruce Keller
President Pat Hawkins called the June 23, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance.
President’s Report: Pat Hawkins
Tonight, at the conclusion of our regular business meeting, we will host a “town hall” to take your questions, and listen to your concerns, about two proposed changes to the Articles of Incorporation. Specifically, we will address the “15% rule” as well as what constitutes a “Class A” member of the Hidden Valley Lake Property Owners Association. We encourage you to stay and listen to this discussion and, most importantly, to vote on these changes. A ballot will be included in the dues mailing that will be going out shortly and should be returned no later than July 31.
Treasurer’s Report: Bob Starks
Treasurers Report, May 2016
As of May 2016 beginning cash was $1,043,858 and ending cash was $786,353. Income budgeted for the month was $182,253 and actual income for the month was $180,562. Actual income budgeted year to date was $940,911 and year to date actual income was $953,487. Expenses budgeted for the month was $168,333 and actual expenses for the month were $213,127. Expenses budgeted year to date was $789,714 and actual expenses year to date was $794,481.
Part of the reason the income is looking better than planned is because residents are paying dues in advance on a monthly payment plan.
Secretary’s Report: Donna Yetzer
- Motion made by Robert Starks and seconded by Tom Hamilton to approve May 2016 Meeting Minutes. Motion passed unanimously.
Community Manager’s Report: Bruce Keller
- Request approval for two events. The Luau scheduled for August 6th, 2016, put on by the Hidden Valley Lake Civic Club. This will be followed on August 7th with a back to school party for our children run by our Children’s Activity Club. Both events are at the Beach.
- Motion made by Donna Yetzer and seconded by Robert Starks. Motion passed unanimously.
Golf Course Managers Report: Jennifer Reuter
We have three major projects we wanted to get done. First, the restroom and it has been completed and landscaped. The second, the cart barns. We wanted to get them re-skinned. That finished up this month. It cost $18,000. The garage door was damaged because they were broken into by vandals. There is a reward for information leading to the prosecution of those involved. Last project would be the cart path paving on the back nine. The cost should be $21,000. We are redoing hole #15 which is a safety issue. We will be working on the front nine in 2017. We ended last year with 254 members. We are now at 258 members after losing 35.
VRUC Report: Don Yetzer
Architecture Committee Report: Mike Parks
Joshua & Angel Dennison
Lot 1574, 19417 Newcom Knoll
Signed by Jason Craig, Jesse Jones, Mike Parks, Bruce Keller
James & Regina Brady
Lot 938, 20988 Crestview Ct.
Signed by Jason Craig, Jesse Jones, Mike Parks, Bruce Keller
- Motion for the return of the above Performance Bonds made by Tom Hamilton and seconded by Donna Yetzer. Motion passed unanimously.
Bill Minnery commented that we should require a Performance Bond for gravel parking pads as well as there could be damage to the roads for these as well. Mike Parks will speak with the Architecture Committee on this issue.
- Motion requesting approval for lot 1104 owned by Jim Connor & Donald & Pamela Skiles, 20391 Matterhorn, to be split. The split lot will then become 1104A and 1104B with one half going to lot 1103 and the other to lot 1105 made by Robert Starks and seconded by Donna Yetzer. Motion passed unanimously.
Safety, Security & Elections Committee Report: Bruce Keller
Safety is looking into getting the Burma Shave type signs.
Finance Committee: Bruce Keller
Lakes Committee Report: Bruce Keller
- Request the highlighted/underlined changes in the following paragraphs concerning the clarification of who is authorized to build docks, be approved by the Board. (First Reading)
Found in our Bylaws, Section 202, Architectural rules.
- Private Docks and Boat Lifts Rules
- The following list of HVL lots are defined as “main lake front lots” and are the only lots approved for the purpose of building a dock on the main lake. The lots are: 101 – 131, 456 – 459, 469 – 471, 555 – 557, 654 – 666, 1062 – 1100, 1134 – 1149, 1523 – 1533, 1569 – 1571, 1590 – 1593, 1624 – 1632, 1674 – 1680, 1705 – 1720, 1782 – 1796, 1874 – 1897, 1928 – 1930, 2153 – 2157, 2271 – 2276, 2456 – 2469, 2471, 2539 – 2544, 2569 – 2570 and 2643 – 2651.
- Any “non-lake front lots” that have prior approval for a dock may continue to have that approval.
- If an HVL POA greenbelt area exists between a private lot and listed in Hidden Valley Lake Bylaws, section 202, O., 1), and the main lake, the property owner may build and have private use of a dock and may maintain the greenbelt area including shoreline preservation with rip-rap, but the greenbelt area shall remain the property of the HVL POA.
Crystal Lake is being worked on, supervised by an engineer in September and save about $25,000. There is another old POA dock we were going to take out. Two residents have come forward to say they want to rent it, so we will repair it and bring it to the Board of Directors later for approval.
Parks and Recreation Committee: Bruce Keller
- Motion requesting to disband the Parks and Recreation Committee and allowing Lakes and Parks Committee to be formed. Both Lakes and Parks and Recreation Committees have voted unanimously to join the two together made by Tom Hamilton and seconded by Robert Starks. Motion passed unanimously.
Future Planning: Kathy Wirth
New member: The Future Planning Committee is pleased to announce the addition in May of Jennifer Donelson as a new member.
Projects on our agenda:
- Board election restructuring – election schedule/term length, candidate qualifications, nomination and application procedures
- POA governance documents – investigating using professional online codification service; simplify by separating procedures from rules – procedures to be easily accessed on new website with links to rules
- Committee restructuring – in progress; Lakes & Parks already merged; two new committees under consideration: Communications & Public Relations and Community Affairs
- Land use plan – in progress
- Communications systems update (Website Task Force) – new website and notification system – in progress
- Due process procedures – in progress
Second Reading of proposed motion:
- Request a motion that the size of the HVL POA Board of Directors shall remain at five (5) members. The length of the members’ terms shall be increased from two (2) years to three (3) years. The annual voting schedule for the Board positions shall become: Year 1 – two members, Year 2 – two members, and Year 3 – one member.
- Motion made by Bill Minnery and seconded by Donna Yetzer. Motion passed unanimously.
Jim Connor, Lot 1103, asked how to submit plans for building a new home. Pat Hawkins stated he has to get a new home packet and attend an architecture committee meeting for approval and that his builder would be familiar with the process.
Jim also asked how the deer cull works. Bruce explained that per our acreage we should have 56 deer, but we have approximately 100. We are in maintenance mode unless we are under 100 and then we would not cull.
- Motion to adjourn made by Bob Starks and seconded by Donna Yetzer. Motion passed unanimously.
Adjournment: 7:47 pm
Minutes Prepared by Jill Knosp
Minutes published in this paper are abbreviated and a full account can be heard online at www.hiddenvalleylakepoa.com