Nestled in the rolling woodlands of southeast Indiana just 30 minutes west of Cincinnati, the private community of Hidden Valley Lake offers a unique blend of small town charm and big city access.
The 150-acre lake, 6 smaller lakes, 18-hole golf course, athletic fields, pool complex, sandy beach, restaurant & bar, and more provide abundant recreation opportunities.
Originally planned in the early 1970s as a weekend getaway, Hidden Valley Lake has grown into a vibrant residential community of approximately 5500. Acres of wooded greenbelt surround an interesting diversity of home styles, ranging from rustic to traditional to contemporary. Wildlife sitings are frequent, including deer, turkey, geese, ducks, and even the occasional eagle or fox.
Residents enjoy peace of mind knowing that a security force of Dearborn County reserve deputies provides 24-hour service to the community.
We welcome you to discover the many reasons why “life is good where we live.”
Located in Dearborn County, Indiana, Hidden Valley Lake is bordered to the south by the city of Greendale and to the east by the Ohio/Indiana state line. The postal address is Lawrenceburg, IN. Quick access to I-275, linking to I-74 and I-75, provides easy commuting to the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area. Downtown Cincinnati is 24 miles east and the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Airport lies 20 miles south.
18-hole golf course
Fishing, boating, water skiing
6 smaller lakes
15-acre sports complex
24-hour fitness center
Parks & picnic shelters
Tennis and basketball courts
Paved walking paths
• 1938 acres, including 753 acres of common grounds and recreational areas
• 28.5 miles of privately-owned roads
• Approximately 1850 homes and 5500 residents
• Median resident age – 44.3 years (2010)
• Median household income – $78,705 (2013)
• Median home value – $187,181 (2013)
Consistently Ranked One of the Safest Communities
Everyone wants to know that they live in a safe place! It provides a sense of comfort and security. Hidden Valley Lake is one of the safest towns in the entire state of Indiana as well as the Greater Cincinnati area.
• Ranked #3 in Safety by Cincy Magazine, Rating the Burbs (June/July 2017)
• Ranked the #34 Safest Community in Indiana (May, 2017 report from LendEDU)
• Recognized in 2016 as #7 of the 10 Happiest Places in Indiana
• Ranked #15 overall by Cincy Magazine (June/July 2016), Top 50 Communities in Greater Cincinnati.
• 1970 – Developer James Rupel planned HVL as a recreational weekend getaway. The original plat contained 300 lots. To create the Hidden Valley Lake, an earthen dam was built on Doublelick Run, a small stream flowing southeast to the Ohio River. It is is the deepest man-made lake in Indiana, with the second largest earthen dam.
• 1972 – with the addition of more acreage, the number of lots increased to 2,355 with 25 homes built.
• 1979 – The completion of the Indiana portion of the I-275 circle freeway provided convenient access to HVL from the Cincinnati area, spurring development.
• 1980s – HVL gradually began changing from predominately weekend homes to a mostly residential community.
• 1987 – The Hidden Valley lake Property Owners Association took over management from the developer.
• 1990s – A building boom saw an average of 84 homes built per year. The number of lots increased to 3229.
Lake & Dam Facts
Hidden Valley Lake
• 150 acres
• 1.5 miles long
• 4.5 miles of shoreline
• 120 feet max depth
• 45 feet average depth
• 2,059,378,320 gal. storage when full
Hidden Valley Dam
• Height – 140 feet
• Length – 1195 foot
• Top width – 28 feet
• Base width – 732 feet
• Compacted fill – 1,212, 890 cu. yds.
• Rock excavation – 179,845 cu. yds.