HIDDEN VALLEY LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING MINUTES
Thursday, February 23, 2023
Board of Directors Members Present: Jeff Fuell, Doug Gabbard, Scott Giska, Patricia Hawkins, Ken Horn
Community Manager Present: Dave Wismann
February 23, 2023 Motions:
- Approval of January 2023 Minutes—Board Secretary
- First Reading for Revised Architecture, Future Planning and Judicial Bylaws—Board Secretary
- Motion to grant a 10’ variance for a new home on the front elevation of the property of Charles Knapp, Lot 1528, 19853 Lakeview Drive—Architecture
- Motion to add Jack Schnieder to the Architecture Committee—Architecture Committee
- Motion to add Jan Rohling to Future Planning Committee—Future Planning Committee
- Motion to add Ted Gemperle to the Lakes Committee—Lakes Committee
- Motion to Adjourn
Call to Order: Scott Giska
President, Scott Giska called the Board of Director’s Meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance:
The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Treasurer’s Report: Jeff Fuell
Financial Position for the month of January 2023:
Our Cash Position on January 1, 2023—$ 195,885.00
Ending Cash on January 31, 2023—$ 578,111.00
Note: 2022 Financials are officially “Under Audit”. The auditors are onsite Feb 22nd – 24th.
- All amounts are rounded to the nearest dollar.
- HVL POA plans annually for a balanced budget. (i.e., anticipated annual expenses are planned to not exceed anticipated annual income).
- Some infrequent expenses are predictable such as replacement of vehicles, maintenance of our roads, the many lake dams, swimming pool liner, lake dredging, etc. Funds are escrowed each year to cover those future expenses and are included in the totals.
- Projected cash at year end is generally equal to zero dollars plus escrowed funds for above mentioned expenses as well as necessary reserves. Reserves include two months’ of operating capital, capital for asset purchases, and Architecture bond payments to be refunded.
- All financials will be audited by an outside auditor annually.
President’s Report: Scott Giska
The board’s ongoing focus over the next several months is to collaborate with our committee chairs via our standard monthly committee meetings and the Leadership Council we formed last year.
A few key objectives over the coming months we want to highlight:
- We have three candidates running for two open board seats this Spring, and the latest Echoes kicks off your ability to review each candidate’s resume as we prepare for a live Candidate’s Night next month.
- The board is meeting early next month with Kyle Packer from the Finance Committee and Marla Ratliff from our Finance Office to review our operating budget to date. We will listen to their recommendation for a dues increase in the summer to help us handle ongoing inflationary cost increases along with our previously stated desire to rebuild our escrow accounts to meet our expense demands of the future. Also, as promised last year, we are moving to a deeper financial update for the community on a quarterly basis, and that will begin at the March Board Meeting.
- David Wismann will cover where our key infrastructure project stands with the fiber optics installation.
- As February comes to a close, we are also doing our standard preparation for the kick-off to the spring/summer lake’s season. Please be extra kind to our staff and volunteers as we are in the busiest part of our year–the first six months. We anticipate a well-run and fun year overall, but it will take more collaboration, more flexibility, and a stronger commitment to execute plans as ONE once they are finalized.
Secretary’s Report: Patricia Hawkins
- Approval of January 2023 Minutes was made by Jeff Fuell and seconded by Doug Gabbard. Motion passed 5-0.
- Motion for First Reading for Revised Architecture, Future Planning and Judicial Bylaws was made by Jeff Fuell and seconded by Doug Gabbard. Motion passed 5-0.
Community Manager’s Report: Dave Wismann
Things are opening a little early at the golf course as we take advantage of some recent spring-like weather. Friday Fish Fries begin tomorrow (February 24th) and all during Lent. This has become quite a tradition and a real bargain at $13 each.
Your maintenance team is almost finished with the docks at Willie’s. It has been a struggle getting supplies, but we are very close to completion. The final piece will be putting new decking on the bridges from shore to the landing dock.
I am planning to meet with the Road’s Task Force soon. Our goal is to meet annually to evaluate the roads and our plan for summer maintenance.
The office is preparing for the election. We have three candidates.
Every qualified candidate’s completed Nomination Form and photo shall be printed in the February and March issues of the Echoes.
A blue ballot return envelope, a white ballot envelope, and an election ballot shall be mailed to all HVL POA members by the third Monday in March (March 20, 2023). All signed and sealed blue ballot return envelopes and sealed white ballot envelopes containing the completed election ballots shall be returned by mail or in person to the HVL POA Office by the third Monday in April (April 17, 2023), hereinafter called the ballot deadline date.
Boat registration season is coming up! Boaters should receive their registration packets in early March. We want you to have a smooth process. Please have all your information (insurance, etc.) ready when you come in. There will be a check sheet in your paperwork to assist you.
Update on Fiber Optics
The crews have begun work again, and you will be seeing more of them in the area. We met with REMC and SEI Data in early February. We still do not have firm dates. They are cautious not to over promise. Once the line is in, and they have established service to that fiber, they will be able to make a better timeline for when that service will be available to the first areas.
COMMITTEE AND CLUB REPORTS:
Architecture Committee Report: Tom Cross
- Motion to grant a 10’ variance for a new home on the front elevation of the property of Charles Knapp, Lot 1528, 19853 Lakeview Drive was made by Patricia Hawkins and seconded by Jeff Fuell. Motion passed 5-0.
- Motion to add Jack Schnieder to the Architecture Committee was made by Ken Horn and seconded by Jeff Fuell. Motion passed 5-0.
Future Planning Committee: Kevin Grosse
- Motion to add Jan Rohling to Future Planning Committee was made by Doug Gabbard and seconded by Ken Horn. Motion passed 5-0.
- Committee has submitted their updated bylaws to Patricia Hawkins, and they have been approved by Hidden Valley Lake’s attorney, Jared Ewbank.
Judicial Panel: Rick Paul
- Bylaw update revisions reviewed.
Lakes Committee: Eric Fox
Important dates are:
- March 4th — sluice gate will close (festivities at noon)
- May 9th, June 13th, August 15th — tentative dates for lake treatments on main lake
- July 4th — Fireworks (no wake at 6:00 p.m.)
- July 29th — Luau
- August 19th Raft Day – Lake will be at “No Wake” early.
- First Fish and Game tournament April 1st
- Motion to add Ted Gemperle to the Lakes Committee was made by Jeff Fuell and seconded by Ken Horn. Motion passed 5-0.
Safety, Security & Elections: Bonnie Starks
- Tim Gallagher resigned from our committee.
- George Lortz is promoting using SeeClickFix for a possible “Block Watch.”
- Stop signs remain a concern.
- Dave Buschmiller and Bonnie Starks volunteered to help Patricia Hawkins with Safety’s section of the bylaws, which are currently being reviewed by HVL’s attorney.
- There was more discussion on the Election Panel.
The Civic Club is planning the following events during Calendar 2023:
- Pub Crawl
- Adult Easter Egg Hunt
- Bus Trip to Keeneland
- HVL Yard Sales (2)
- Adult Pool Parties (4)
- Family Beach Nights (across three months)
- Labor Day Bash
- Chili Cook Off
- Halloween Bash
- Christmas Tree Lighting
- Jingle Jam
- Polar Plunge
- Motion to Adjourn was made by Jeff Fuell and seconded by Ken Horn. Motion passed 5-0.