Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 10-28-21

HIDDEN VALLEY LAKE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Board OF Directors Members Present:  Jeff Fuell, Scott Giska, Dave Hafner, Patricia Hawkins, and Steve Siereveld

Board Members Absent:  None

Community Manager Present:  Dave Wismann

October 28, 2021 Motions:

  • Approval of September 2020 Minutes — Board Secretary
  • Approval of Performance Bonds for Return 10/28/2020—Architectural Committee
  • First Reading Elections Policies and Procedures Revision 1-3—Safety, Security & Elections
  • First Reading Board of Directors Nomination Form—Safety, Security & Elections
  • Motion to Adjourn

Call to Order:  Scott Giska

President Scott Giska called the Board of Director Meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

Pledge of Allegiance:

The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance.

President’s Report:  Scott Giska

pastedGraphic.png

Good evening everyone and thank you for joining us.

As we are all looking forward to the upcoming Holiday season, we are focused across our dedicated staff and amazing volunteers leading the community into the Holidays and what will be a very busy 2021.  As an announcement, there will be no Board Meeting in November, and we will next meet Thursday, December 9th at 7 p.m.  We will use the short month of November to kick-off our HVL Leadership Council, on Monday, November 15th at 6:30 p.m. Invites to Committee Chairs and other Board selected leaders will be sent next week.  The invite will include the purpose, vision and goals for the Council in 2022.  One last announcement, we will begin advertising in November for Dave Hafner’s current Board seat that will be up for election this spring.  We will follow rule 1-3-6 for our election procedures.

1-3-6. HVL POA Board of Directors Election Procedures

a. The nomination forms for the HVL POA Board of Directors shall be made available online at the HVL website or the POA office.  A notice of the registration deadline will be made public via the following methods when possible, starting in November through the application deadline:

1.   Home page banner on HVL webpage

2.   Minimum quarter-page ad in the Echoes

3.   Monthly Listserv message

4.   Announced at all Board meetings

5.   Election notice placed in the first billing of each year which goes out in January

6.   Posted on exit signs.

pastedGraphic_1.pngBefore I focus on key initiatives and projects moving into 2021, I have a question. Do we take the Halloween season around here seriously or what? It’s pretty unreal seeing all the decorations, costumes and events! A special thanks to the leadership of Sarah Thompson and her masked army of volunteers that make the Haunted Hayride possible!

pastedGraphic_2.pngWater Main Breaks – let me say how sorry I am for all the homeowners impacted by the most recent series of water main breaks. We have an old water system that was poorly installed years ago that we need an updated solution for. Your Board, and myself as the VRUC Board liaison, will be working closely with Kevin Grosse and his Team at VRUC to do three things: 1) from various homeowner complaints, I see and hear about, better understand why we have random high bills for some households; 2) work together on proactive communication to our homeowners when we are having service problems; 3) work to understand what infrastructure fixes are possible in our water system. I know this isn’t any easy fix with an old system installed on less than desirable, hilly and rocky terrain. As best you can, please be patient with us!

On a brighter note, fiber optics for high-speed internet is coming to HVL in 2022! Look for more details coming your way in November and December as we work to finalize expectations and a working timeline for installation next year.

pastedGraphic_3.pngOur 2021 POA Budget has been finalized by Kyle Packer’s Finance Committee, and Kyle is here tonight to provide important details.  We are taking a modest dues increase of 5% for 2021 and an increase to our amenity pricing schedule for rentals, passes and the like. These combined moves will add $200K to our annual operating budget for needed daily and longer-term operation of the Valley.  We will field questions tonight, and again in December before the Board votes to approve the budget.  It’s important to note, while we have more work to do, we will be putting in more cost control mechanisms and Finance committee oversight into our HVL operating and golf course budgets.

Dave Hafner will also address plans for the golf course in 2022 to maintain the growing membership and profitable path we now have this important amenity on! The golf course members will also be seeing a modest dues increase to help fund capital improvements that are needed in 2022 and 2023.

pastedGraphic_4.pngOver the longer-term of three to five years, we will be very transparent on more significant project needs that will need to be partially funded via more frequent regular dues increases and/or assessments. We are at a tipping point in HVL…we either stay the same or we raise the bar on how we address key infrastructure needs in our community. Examples of those projects include: 1) road improvements like major low spots on Alpine and Longview; 2) erosion control across HVL directly tied to all of our lakes; 3) aging buildings like Willie’s, the golf course clubhouse and maintenance shed. In 2021 we face the need to repair, rebuild and or replace the public docks at Willie’s. We will spend significant project evaluation time in early 2022 understanding today’s real and increasing costs and solutions for funding of key projects. Ultimately, we, every member of the POA that includes you, and our newly forming Leadership Council will help shape our future with your voice and volunteer time.  Please note, we are also looking at possible land sales to generate more near-term revenue to help negate longer-term deficits. Those areas will include hole #11 open land on the golf course and today what is Moeller Park on the main lake.

In closing, we will work together to solve some tough challenges, but this is your HVL and your voice and involvement will be very important. Thank you in advance as we begin to lead our community into our 50th Anniversary in 2021 and beyond for our kids and grandkids. Enjoy the rest of tonight’s meeting!

Q.   Residents ask questions regarding Moeller Park being nonsalable greenspace.

A.   After conferring with Hidden Valley attorney, Jared Ewbank, it was found that the space could be sold as residential property and does not have to remain greenspace.

Q.   Additional Resident questions regarding all greenspace being sellable and not impacting current residents

A.   

Treasurer’s Report: Jeff Fuell

Financial Position for the month of September 2021:

Our Cash Position on September 1, 2021—$887,055.00

Ending Cash on September 30, 2021—$719,090.00

Note:

  1. All amounts are rounded to the nearest dollar.
  2. HVL POA plans annually for a balanced budget. (i.e., anticipated annual expenses are planned to not exceed anticipated annual income) 
  3. Some infrequent expenses are predictable such as replacement of vehicles, maintenance of our roads, the many lake dams, swimming pool liner, lake dredging etc.  Funds are escrowed each year to cover those future expenses and are included in the totals.
  4. Projected cash at year end is generally equal to zero dollars plus escrowed funds for above mentioned expenses as well as necessary reserves.  Reserves include two months of operating capital, capital for asset purchases, and Architecture bond payments to be refunded.
  5. All financials will be audited by an outside auditor annually.

Secretary’s Report:  Patricia Hawkins

Motion for Approval of September 2021 Minutes made by Steve Siereveld and seconded by Jeff Fuell.  Motion passed 5-0.

Vice President Report:  Dave Hafner

  • Golf Course Update

Cash position at end of September was $365,000

Projected yearend cash balance of about $295,000

  • 2022 Budget has a projected income of cash balance of $350,00-$400,00 for this time next year (end of season).
  • POA Board runs golf course along with Dave Wismann.  High level decision are made at this level.
  • Two main departments consist of our golf department and Jason Gadd who makes daily decisions on running our maintenance and Brian Krinsky makes the daily golf operation decisions.  Both Jason and Brian meet with Dave on a monthly basis to discuss their departments.

Board of Governors:

  • The Board of Governors are a volunteer advisor group to the Board of Directors.  They are all club members with most of them being POA members as well.  They do not make any direct decisions of finances or operations, but they are a very important part of the club.  They organize most of the club tournaments and events along with the annual Invitational Tournament.  They are involved in fund raising and organize social events for the entire POA such as the night golf that we had this fall.  They make annual purchases for the club out of their funds.  I would like to give thanks to all Board of Governors members for their time and effort.

Food and Beverage:

  • This has been taken over by Steve Van Wassenhove from Willie’s.  He maintains all staffing, purchasing and inventory.  This has worked out well from a service and financial standpoint.

Membership Update:

  • Golf Course is still at around 280 members.
  • The Golf Course is exceeding nation trends both in membership and finance.
  • Next year’s goal in retention, a growth of about 5-10% in membership and increased dues.

Community Manager’s Report:  Dave Wismann

Office Closure

The office will be closed at on Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26 for Thanksgiving.

The office is preparing for the board election season, which begins in November, with announcements in the online version of Echoes, a banner on the homepage, a Listserv and on the exit signs at various times throughout the month.

Security

We continue to have changes with our security team as we attempt to keep up with the challenging job market in our area. We are losing another deputy to the Sheriff’s Department this month. One former part-time deputy, Matt Bauman, has returned to us as a full-time deputy, and we are close to hiring another new deputy to bring our staff up to five. We are full staff at seven.

As challenging as this process can be, we are fortunate to continue to attract great candidates and we have a very good relationship with the Sheriff’s Department which provides us with training and support.

Maintenance

The team has been busy closing down the pool and preparing for…winter. Yes, it is just around the corner and we want to have all of our equipment in working order!

We plan to begin work on replacing the concrete barriers along Alpine Drive with large limestone pieces of rock. The team will also prepare the area so that it will have a clean look and be relatively maintenance-free. Our goal is to complete this work, along with a smaller, similar project at the Sports Complex by December 1.

Golf Course

Pro-shop and 19th Hole Hours of Operation are Weekdays, open at 8:30 am. Weekends, open at 8:00 am.

I will be attending the membership’s annual meeting next Friday.

COMMITTEE AND CLUB REPORTS:

Architecture Committee Report:  Tom Cross

  • Performance Bonds for Return 10/28/2021

Bond Returns

Lot # 2543H Casey & Amy Kennedy

Property Address 1722 Cove Circle West Bond Amount $2000.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 3112H Emma Jean Fulmer

Property Address 1788 Fieldcrest Drive Bond Amount $500.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 2000H Joseph & Laura Costello

Property Address 19643 Ventura Drive Bond Amount $500.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 1809H Thomas & Elaine Hohmeister

Property Address 1425 RayLynn Drive Bond Amount $500.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 1381H Edward & Pamela Gemperle

Property Address 20343 Beau Vista Bond Amount $2000.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 2542H Zachary & Abby Asman

Property Address 1712 Cove Circle West Bond Amount $2000.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Lot # 1914H Kerry & Alison Zickuhr

Property Address 19902 Cravenhurst Drive Bond Amount $500.00

City, State, Zip Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 Dues Owed $0

Fine/Fees Owed $0

Motion to Approve Performance Bonds for Return 10/28/2021 made by Patricia Hawkins and seconded by Dave Hafner.  Motion passed 5-0.

  • Beginning in November, Architecture Committee will meet once monthly through the beginning of spring with a second meeting being opened upon necessity.

Finance Committee Report:  Kyle Packer

  • Annual budget is about 2.8 million.
  • We have about 2,000 members.
  • Adding Golf Course adds about another 8 or 9-hundred thousand dollars, so you are looking at about a 3.8-million-dollar annual budget.
  • 2022 budget has been approved at committee level.  This includes an amenity increase and a 5% dues/assessment increase.
  • 2022 projected Golf Course budget has been approved at committee level.
  • Financial Statements for Golf Course has been approved at Committee Level.
  • Irrigation cost comes in around 1.2-million-dollars.
  • It is estimated to be approximately 240-thousand dollars to redo cart paths.
  • 2022 current budget shows estimated 100-thousand-dollars generated in revenue.

Future planning Report:  Pat Paul

Task Force set up for 50th Anniversary:

  • Social Event planned for people that have lived in the Valley for more than 20 years is beginning planned for the beginning of December at approximately 6-8 on a Friday (possible at Golf Course or Willie’s)
    • Hors d’oeuvres will be offered to those that would like to share feedback or video memories of days ago.
  • 21 logos have been designed by residents-one will be voted on by residents for Merchandise purposes on t-shirts, caps and sweatshirts
  • Time capsule being researched to be buried for next anniversary milestone
  • Events planned to happen throughout next year to coincide with other planned events
  • Possible “Home Coming” for former residents
  • Presentation of old photos

Communications:

  • New articles and categories of interest to be added to the Echoes
  • Survey sent out to residents regarding Echoes Planning for 2022
  • Revisiting Neighbors Helping Neighbors
  • Broadband is still being reviewed
  • Electronic signs at entrances has been put on hold due to high cost
  • Current plans are to host Ohio Lakes Community Association possibly in spring
  • Task Force for front entrance improvements/updating has been established (Residents will have an opportunity to share in new options)

Lakes Committee:  Dave Patterson

Guest Issues:

Wayne Draffen is a current member of the Lake Patrol and was present at Lakes Committee Meeting to learn and bring up a few things he noticed over the past few weeks and over the summer.

Most importantly, he commented that in the past several years (since we changed lake treatment companies) the lake water hasn’t seemed to be as clear as it used to be.

Secondly, he said that concerning the recent discussions about high, dangerous and damaging wakes, he hasn’t seen it as an issue.

Fish & Game Club Comments:

There are no more regular tournaments scheduled for this year.  There may be a few Senior Tournaments.  Their recent golf outing was a good one.  They have removed about 700 to 800 slot bass this year, and that the overall health of the fish seemed better, including their weight and girth.  We all agreed that the slot limit rule should be continued annually.  Hopefully, the next fish survey will support the improving health and numbers of the lake’s bass population. 

Lake Patrol Report:

Paul Rolfes reported that this season has been a good one.  Since the last Lakes Committee meeting, they have issued two citations, both for two on a tube.  They will continue until the end of October.  They are still looking for additional members.  Paul mentioned that he missed seeing the skiers on the lake and felt they probably weren’t there because they didn’t want to deal with the 3’ to 4’ waves. The Fish and Game Club tournaments have all been good.  The sluice gate will be opened on November 1, 2021.

Lake Statistics Report:

Water quality was measured acrossfrom the beach on 9/24/21.  Water clarity was 3’. Surface water temperature was just over 70 degrees.  All profiles were normal for the time of year when compared to prior years.

Small Lake Maintenance report:

Nothing new to report.  Still waiting on input from Dr. Lorentz and another professor at U.C. for lake studies.

Current/Active Business:

Dredging:

The dredging is done for this season.  Any dredging of other lakes next year will depend on obtaining funding.  This needs to be on the budget request-especially for Lake Alpine.  There is still about four weeks left to complete the Sandamont cove and about five weeks to complete Crystal Lake.  There is also some work for individual residents that has been requested.

Dave Wismann is meeting with hydrology expert to see how we can best address keeping the silt out of the lake.  Wayne suggested we contact the DNR and possibly IU for potential resources to help here.

Adding Extension to the handicapped/kayak launching dock:

The maintenance department will address this project during the off season.

Dock improvements:

Docks at Willies need work.  The wooden docks from the shore needs to be replaced.  The remainder need maintenance to their surfaces, and some of the air pods need repaired or replaced.  Dave will set this up as a project with a timeline.  Wayne and Eric will gather information about the docks recently added at Lake Norris.

Lake Studies:

We don’t have any further information from Dr. Lorentz.  Someone suggested that we contact ATAC and see if they can do studies of the small lakes, and at what cost.  Dave will also get a quote from Aquatic Control, which is a firm we used many years ago.

Eco-Harvester Update:

No report.  There will be a report by next meeting.

Future Planning:

We need to continue escrowing funds for additional dredging in the future.  We also need to continue escrowing for Willie’s dock replacement and for silt containment.  This will be an on-going discussion.

Educating all property owners on what to use and what not to use on their lawns:

Linda has been preparing articles for the Echoes and will continue to do so.

Tweaking the docks near the launch ramp:

A resident requested that we look at widening the approach to the launch ramp to make it easier for boats, especially inboards.  This was addressed when we installed the docks by making the angle in the right most dock and then last year by discontinuing the leasing of the dock immediately out from the ramp.  Given all that, the committee felt that this was a non-issue and decided to leave the arrangement of the docks as it is. This was unanimous. 

Community Manager’s Report at Lake Committee meeting:

Dave Wismann reported that the system for controlling the lake status lights was being revamped/replaced.  The current system couldn’t handle the remote-control functions needed.

Wake Surfing Issue:

At this time, there is not an update.  As a resolution cannot be found, existing rule to stay in place for the time being.

-Use of balance or wave influencing equipment and driver actions that create dangerous and damaging waves is prohibited.

Hidden Valley Lake follows the State of Indiana-You are responsible for your own waves.

Parks Committee Report:  Amy Ayers-Wilson

Pool/Beach Update:

  • Dave is currently in the process of hiring a new pool manager.  Hopefully, we will have a new manager before the holidays.  This would allow us to have a smooth transition to start the 2022 season.
  • The other item we are looking at in the off season is a commercial grade vacuum for the pool.  Some residents have observed quite a bit of debris in the morning. The new vacuum will run over night; therefore the water will be clean first thing in the morning.  The current handheld vacuum is not sufficient to clean the entire pool.  It’s adequate for spot cleaning, similar to a dust buster.  The Committee is looking into the most cost-efficient unit. We plan on researching this over the off season.

Trails Update:

  • John Getzendanner has multiple versions of the trail signs that the Task Force is voting on.  After that process is complete, John and Dave will place the order with Marty.  Our goal is to have a master trail map and signs marking the trails installed for the 50th year celebration. 

Our next meeting will be in January. As always, we welcome anyone who like to attend.  We have plenty of projects for the upcoming year.

Safety, Security & Elections Committee Report:  Don Norris

  • First Reading Elections Policies and Procedures Revision 1-3

Not voted on.

  • First Reading Board of Directors Nomination Form

Not voted on.

Group is working on rewriting and “cleaning up” the election procedures and providing a standardized nominations form.

I can’t type this as he is referring to a slide.

A new form was created for nominations or for a member to volunteer to be voted on for admission to the board.  The nomination form really does two major things:

  1. It makes a consistent way for people to report their qualifications and desire to do the work.
  2. It also informs potential candidates what they are getting their selves into and what is going to be expected of them if they are elected to the board.

Term limits will be discussed after the first of the year to discuss more in-depth.  Scott and Steve put term limits for board as part of campaign and feel it important.  This will be addressed at the board level and the committee level.  It will be discussed at that Executive Meeting.

Scott would like to address at the Executive Meeting and vote on it to have in place for the next upcoming elections.  Standardization of the application has been solved but it needs changes to shorten the document.

Civic Club Report:  Denice Siereveld

Halloween Bash will be at the HVL Golf Course this Saturday, October 30, 2021 from 7:00 p.m. to Midnight.  There is no price for residents and a $5.00 donation for non-residents.  You must be 21 to attend-ID’s will be checked.  Appetizers will be provided with a cash bar.

Old Business:

No Old Business

New Business:

No New Business

Adjournment:

Motion to Adjourn made by Jeff Fuell and seconded by Dave Hafner.  Motion passes 5-0.

ACTION REQUIRED

Take a moment and update your personal information