Architecture Committee Meeting
Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Approved Architecture Committee Meeting Minutes
Called to Order by: Tom Cross 5:25 PM
Members Present: Tom Cross, Phil Heitz, Bob Maudlin, Frank Goodrich
Members Absent: Alan Kohlhaas
POA Office Staff Present: No
Property Maintenance Compliance Officer Present: Dan Tester
Board Liaison Present: Ken Horn
Community Manager Present: No
Residents in Attendance: None. No unapproved Projects requiring consideration for Approval were on the agenda for this Meeting.
Guest: Jack Schnieder. First visit to an Architecture Committee Meeting.
The following projects were AA approved and reviewed:
- Jessica Nelson, Lot 354H, 937 Greentree Road. Permit to replace the shingle roof. Color change from black to brown.
- Chuck & Kathleen Lundberg, Lot 498H/499, 1027 Ashwood Court. Permit to replace the shingle roof. Color change from gray-brown to a darker brown.
- Bill & Carla Lykins, Lot 2482/2483H, 20080 Alpine Drive. Permit to replace the shingle roof. Color change from a gray to a speckled brown.
- Janet & Robert Boehmer, Lot 3352H/3353, 19641 Alpine Drive. Permit to add a cover over the upper deck and replace the existing handrails using a black aluminum railing system. The shingles on the roof will match the house shingles, with white tongue and groove ceiling board, aluminum facia and gutters, and adding 6 lights on the deck.
- Robin Williams, Lot 1143H, 20373 Meercham Way. Permit to replace the existing steps along the driveway with Yukon Series step treads, 3’ wide.
- Tracy Malone, Lot # 437H, 20400 Longview Drive. Permit to paint the shutters and front door, changing the color to dark brown from white.
- Barbara Roll, Lot 384H, 20248 Lakeview Drive. Permit to replace the roof shingles with same tan color.
- Roger Hasler, Lot 2465/2466H, 20234 Cedar Cliff Drive. Permit to rebuild a gazebo that had collapsed during a storm. No change in dimensions or color (cream with green roof), using wood.
- Trinity Homes Builders, Lot 828, 21058 Lakeview Drive. Permit to install a 13’ X 11’ (143 sq. ft.) asphalt parking pad located parallel to the driveway.
- Shelby Ellis, Lot 1708H, 1338 Cliftmont Circle. Permit to install a welded aluminum picket rail, black in color, 36” in height, going along a retaining wall.
- Jessica Blackburn, Lot 636H, 1404 Sunset Drive. Permit to replace a green shingle roof with a metal roof, color: charcoal frost.
- Brian Tonne, Lot 2831, 1862 Ridgewood Circle. Permit to replace two above ground propane tanks in kind with the same footprint.
The following projects were approved by Architecture Committee without a meeting:
- Tyler & Phobe Fike, Lot # 637H/638, 1394 Sunset Drive. A permit to relocate the driveway entrance to reduce driveway grade, 3’ X 30’ retaining wall near driveway, #4 rebar footer, #4 L Rebar 2’ o.c. 4000 PSI.
- Zachery Mitchell, Lot 1606H/1607, 1165 Monteray Circle. Permit to install a 4’ high Kentucky 3 board fence with a mesh liner, natural in color. The pins have been located.
- Ronald Hill, Lot 2989/2990, 21282 Bellemeade Drive. Permit to replace two cracked sections of concrete driveway, replacing existing retaining wall with dimension changes, using 2 X 2 X 6 textured interlocking concrete blocks. The highest point of wall will be 8’ down to 5’ at the lowest point and 25’ in length.
- Judy & Gary Bufler, Lot 828H, 21058 Lakeview Drive. Permit to install a 4’ high pine color Kentucky board fence with a brown mesh liner. The pins have been located.
- Todd & Christy Milders, Lot 506H, 20588 Lakeview Drive. Permit to install a 4’ high natural wood split rail fence. The pins were not located. Surveyor installed wooden stakes were accurately placed and used to correctly establish the property lines.
The following projects were approved after pins were located on property:
None except as noted above.
The following projects were Board approved: None
ApproveArchitecture Meeting Minutes for November 16, 2022. The final version of the Minutes were not available during this Meeting, so Approval has been shelved until our next meeting.
Old Business: None
New Business: Discussion on the bylaws for fences. Looking at the ongoing issue of pin placement and marking the pins on the resident’s property when asking for fence approval.
The discussion included consideration of the newest version (Board approved changes) of the bylaws which requires the locating of the surveyor identified corners of a lot to assure fence installations can be accomplished correctly. The type of identifying markings for the corners were not stated in the phrasing of the bylaw changes. Complicating the issue is the need to assure surveyors install metal pins if the original pins are missing. Tom Cross checked with Dearborn County officials who assured him it is standard practice for surveyors to install metal pins since wooden stakes will deteriorate and the identification markings for those locations need to be permanent. In many cases the pins have been set in concrete making them easier to locate and helping to retain location stability.
Also discussed was the need to update our bylaws. The most recent versions, reflecting current changes, have not been made available for easy access by members of the Community.
Additional topics discussed were issues regarding “Grandfathering” of old structures and the following of current bylaws if changes are made to any “grandfathered” structures. Also, the Rules regarding the location of structures close to the lakefront, and the reasons for those restrictions, was another topic discussed.
And finally, we discussed the need to assure that the POA Office Staff, when issuing an AA Approved Permit for the construction of structures that may also require the further issuing of a Permit by Dearborn County, notifies the recipient of the HVL issued Permit that it is their responsibility to also obtain the Dearborn County Issued Permit.
Minutes Taken by: Phil Heitz
Motion to Adjourn by: Frank Goodrich Seconded by: Bob Maudlin
Time: 6:27 PM
Submitted by: Phil Heitz