Architecture Committee Meeting
Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Called to Order by: Bob Maudlin 5:30 PM
Members Present: Bob Maudlin, Alan Kohlhaas, Jerry Goodrich, Phil Heitz
Members Absent: Tom Cross
POA Office Staff Present: Gina Keller
Property Maintenance Compliance Officer Present: Dan Tester
Board Liaison Present: Dave Hafner
Community Manager Present: No
Residents in Attendance: Josh Jackson with Contractor Dave Staab, Thomas Beversdorf
- Josh & Elizabeth Jackson, Lot # 598, 1107 Springdale Court. Seeking a Permit to build a new home to be sold. The home is to be a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath two story with a finished lower level under half of the first floor structure. The first floor will be 1123 sq. ft. The upper level will be 477 sq. ft. the lower level will be 518 sq. ft. with no sump pump. Two car garage with a tan garage door and a concrete driveway. The siding will be “khaki” vinyl with “wicker” vinyl trim. The front door and the shutters will be black. The asphalt shingle roof will be “driftwood”. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the drawings for the home but the Plot Plan did not receive approval due to showing a portion of the front porch being built outside of the buildable area. The Contractor agreed to have the plot plan changed and the surveyor stakes relocated to place the home inside of the buildable area. After that has been accomplished and the surveyor stakes checked, the Architecture Committee will then sign the Plot Plans and the Permits may be issued.
- Thomas & Jo Ann Beversdorf, Lot 3291H, 19202 Hampton Drive. Homeowner seeking a Permit to place a 4’ high wood board fence with mesh liner, natural wood. They are also going to attach the fence to their neighbor’s white picket fence with their permission. Pins have been located and marked by Mike Morman, checked by Dan Tester. The project received unanimous approval from the Architecture Committee. Tom Beversdorf was given a list of County contacts so he can check with Dearborn County and acquire any other required Permits.
- Gary Dole, Lot # 3094, 1463 Greenlawn Way, concrete parking pad, 13’ X 14’ and 38’ X 6’, total of 410 square feet. Pad was put in without approval. Gary Dole was unable to attend this Committee Meeting. After examining the application for a permit, the Committee determined the description of the oversized parking pad did not include the square footage of a portion of the original existing parking pad. A decision was made to request the presence of Gary Dole at our next meeting. The Architecture Committee will require accurate dimensioning and the total area of the parking pad including the area of the original parking pad. Since that area will exceed the maximum allowable for parking pads, a variance must be applied for and issued. A fine will be considered since the parking pad was constructed without a Permit. Gina Keller will contact Gary Dole and advise him on how we intend to proceed so he can be prepared in advance of the next Meeting.
The following projects were AA approved and were reviewed:
- Erica & Randy Turner, Lot # 2813H, 168/2 Ridgewood Circle, replacing siding with the color: wicker. This is very close to the existing color.
- Peggie Welker, Lot # 825H, 20990 Ferngrove Court, replacing existing roof, slight color change from light brown to a little darker brown. Color on file.
- Clyde & Lisa Lineback, Lot # 2729H, 1708 Tuppence Trail, 6’ X 11’ X 16” high elevated garden bed with base constructed with 8” X 16” cement blocks, cavities filled with poured concrete. Top surround to be 2×12 treated wood with treated wood herb garden bed inserts. Concrete base to be stained to match existing deck (gray) and wood surround & bed inserts to be treated to match existing perimeter fence stain.
The following projects were approved by Architecture Committee without a meeting:
- Todd Hammerstrom, Lot # 1572, 19437 Newcom Knoll, extending existing upper and lower wooden deck 2’ 6” X 12’.
The following projects were approved after pins were located on property: Surveyor Mike Mormon andDan Tester checked the pins as required for Item #2 on the above agenda.
The following projects were Board approved: None
ApproveArchitecture Meeting Minutes for October 6, 2021.
Motion to Approve by: Jerry Goodrich Seconded by: Alan Kohlhaas
Old Business: Jerry Goodrich provided the Committee Members with suggested restating of the Rules for Lot Splits (Section 4-4-41) for the purpose of eliminating confusion about what information is to be required to be included on Surveyor Drawn Plot Plans and subsequent procedures to be followed to obtain approval of any Lot Split. During the discussion, questions arose regarding the needs of Dearborn County and how they legally proceed with changes in their registering of the new deeds that would result. The Committee decided to delay moving forward with this Rule change until those questions are resolved.
New Business: The Committee Members present discussed how the Committee should proceed with the handling of issues that result when Community Members and Homeowners make changes to their homes without first obtaining the requisite Permits. Most common is reroofing a home without obtaining a Permit. Such changes can be completed more quickly than the Compliance Officer can possibly observe the violation and take action. Since it is often a case of ignorance of the Rules, on the part of the homeowner, the Committee Members agreed the best procedure would to be to have the homeowner apply for the requisite Permit after the fact so the POA Office Records can be accurately maintained. No fines would be levied.
That procedure would be pursued if the change was something the Committee would have approved if the proper sequence had been followed. If the change could not have been approved, then other options should be considered on a case by case basis.
Minutes Taken by: Phil Heitz
Motion to Adjourn:
Motion by: Alan Kohlhaas Seconded by: Jerry Goodrich
Submitted by: Phil Heitz