Architecture Committee Meeting
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Approved Architecture Committee Meeting Minutes
Called to Order by: Tom Cross 5:25 PM
Members Present: Tom Cross, Jack Schnieder, Jerry Goodrich, Alan Kohlhaas, Phil Heitz, Bob Maudlin
Members Absent: None
POA Office Staff Present: Gina Keller
Property Maintenance Compliance Officer Present: Dan Tester
Board Liaison Present: Ken Horn
Community Manager Present: No
Residents in Attendance: Russ Neville & Christina Bold, Jill & Ken Torbeck, Casey Knigga (contractor for Shawn Lay), Tim McKinney, Joseph & Geraldine Blust
- Russ Neville & Christina Bold, Lot 1541H, 858 Ryan Court. Seeking a permit to install a 4’ high bronze aluminum decorative fence to enclose the back yard. It is to be installed outside of the buildable area, but not on the property line. The survey pins were located and marked. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of the permit.
- Jill & Ken Torbeck, Lot 617H, 1203 Sunset Drive. Requesting a permit to install a 10’ X 16’ Shed, with painted LP wood siding, beige with off white trim to match house, and a black metal roof. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of the permit.
- Shawn Lay, Lot 1770H, 1491 Heidi Haven Drive. Installing three allan block retaining walls. (1) 0-24” X 32’, (2) 0-24” X 36’, (3) 0-40” X 48’. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of the permit.
- Tim & Lisa McKinney, Lot # 3176H/3177, 1494 Kathy Court. Requesting a permit to add a 2.5’ X 20’ allan block retaining wall, the color will be grey. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of the permit.
- Joseph & Geraldine Blust, Lot 3086, 1534 Greenlawn Way. Requesting a permit to construct a deck extension, 30’ X 12’. Also add 2 concrete pads under the deck, (1) 11’ X 5’ (2) 11’ X 7’, plus 2 retaining walls using AB Classic block, granite color, (1) 2’ X 7’ (2) 2’ X 11’, and add an open gable structure above the deck with a screened in area, 18’ X 12’. Also adding stairs extending from the deck to the ground. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of the permit.
- Thad Hare & Jennifer Siebel, Lot 2237H, 1552 Sandamont Drive. The resident is taking on a large amount of water from the ditch that runs from Tyrolean Way through their property. The homeowner has contacted a local contractor, Probst, who does a lot of this kind of digging, trenching and water flow control work in HVL, and have received a quote to resolve the issue. They are asking the Hidden Valley POA to pay for ½ of the cost. We normally do not assist in these matters, but it is the first case that involves water coming into the house. Usually, the issue is with erosion in the yard, etc. In this case, they are taking on an abundance of water. Community Manager, Dave Wismann, provided a report to be reviewed and requested the Architecture Committee review the matter and provide comments to be considered by the POA. Water is to be directed toward natural swales. Construction contractors, when building a home, are required to assure water flows are properly handled. It is not possible to positively identify whether any changes were made to the natural flow of runoff water as a result of the construction or landscaping methods used. After discussing various aspects of the situation it was determined there has been no liability created as a result of any actions taken by Hidden Valley Lake. The discussions and results were witnessed by Board Liaison Ken Horn, and he will present the results to the POA Board.
The following projects were AA approved and reviewed:
- Dean Hasson, Lot 1391H, 20374 Beau Vista Drive. Removing and replacing existing concrete driveway, no change in dimensions.
- Phillip Stewart, Lot 2627H, 20360 Alpine Drive. Replacing roof and replacing existing retaining wall using same wood material.
- Bryan Coleman, Lot 1183H, 517 Cresthaven Drive. Installing a 3’ X 28’ concrete pad at the bottom of deck steps.
- John Fruin, Lot 1571H, 19447 Newcom Knoll. Replacing roof shingles from a brownish color to black color. Samples on file at the office.
- Grant Smiley, Lot 117H, 20087 Longview Drive. Repairing retaining wall using landscape blocks.
- Tammy Chapman, Lot 1294H, 258 Cresthaven Drive. Lifting concrete driveway to level.
- David Lyman, Lot 327H, 688 Greentree Road. Replacing shingle roof with a color change from reddish brown to grayish black.
- Walter Seeds & Mary Niedenthal, Lot 1331H, 768 Greentree Road. Replaced damaged roof shingles with a color change from grayish black to bluish black.
The following projects were approved by Architecture Committee without a
The following projects were approved after pins were located on property: None
The following projects were Board approved: None
ApproveArchitecture Meeting Minutes for April 19, 2023.
Motion to approve by: Jerry Goodrich Seconded by: Jack Schnieder
Old Business: None
New Business: The Architecture Committee discussed the Bylaws Change presented by the Lakes Committee that received a First Reading at the April 27th POA Board Meeting in Willie’s Basement. One item under the addition to the existing bylaws allows for large floating platforms to be placed on the lake by Community Property Owners who own Lakefront Properties. Those platforms could be as large as 400 sq. ft. (20’ X 20’ square) and would extend well into the lake, violating existing limits according to the Bylaws, even when parked at the shoreline. Note: Those platforms can be moved well into the lake, away from the shore line, where other boating activities will occur. Other objections to the establishment of that new Bylaw include not requiring a permit or registration of the floating platforms. No Rules about where or how they may be used, Safety Issues regarding interference with skiers and other boating activities, and potentially rendering the lake unusable for some of the activities currently enjoyed on Hidden Valley Lake. All Architecture Committee Members, for a variety of reasons, objected to adopting that new Bylaw and may proceed with the presentation of those objections prior to the Second Reading of that Bylaw.
Contractor Norb Boh, currently preparing Lot 3127 at 1657 Fieldcrest, sent an inquiry to the POA Office to obtain information regarding the installation of a 24” diameter culvert under a new driveway and connecting it with another existing 15” diameter culvert pipe. He would prefer to use double walled plastic culvert pipe instead of corrugated galvanized steel. Tom Cross quoted from Rule 4-11-3 regarding that topic and the Committee determined the use of the double walled plastic culvert pipe is okay according to the Bylaws of Hidden Valley Lake.
Minutes Taken by: Phil Heitz
Motion to Adjourn: Motion by: Bob Maudlin Seconded by: Alan Kohlhaas 6:30 PM
Submitted by: Phil Heitz