Architecture Committee Meeting
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Committee 5:30 PM
Guest 6:00 PM
Approved Architecture Committee Meeting Minutes
Called to Order by: Tom Cross 5:20 PM
Members Present: Tom Cross, Alan Kohlhaas, Jerry Goodrich, Phil Heitz, Bob Maudlin, Jack Schnieder
Members Absent: None
POA Office Staff Present: Gina Keller
Property Maintenance Compliance Officer Present: Dan Tester
Board Liaison Present: Ken Horn
Community Manager Present: No
Residents in Attendance: Gary & Judy Bufler, Ron & Sally Rowland, Lindsey Schultz Jones, Jeffrey Trivett, Kurt Jones, Timothy & Camille Sexton, Kerry & Alison Zickuhr, Chris Windau, Robin Murphy, Steven Johnson, Jacob Prather (contractor) for Jim Collins, Tom & Gina Armbruster
- Gary & Judy Bufler, Lot 828H, 21058 Lakeview Drive. Applying for a 15’ variance for the location of a 10’ X 12’ steel shed, for the rear setback. The shed will be grey with white trim and a black roof. Letters were sent out to neighbors that had property adjoining the Bufler’s property and both neighbors responded agreeing to the variance request. The rear property line does not back up to any property in HVL. Rear setbacks are not as restricted in such locations and the side setbacks are okay, so the Architecture Committee Members unanimously support making a recommendation to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Ronald & Sally Rowland, Lot 1054H, 21347 Alpine Drive. Requesting a 17’ variance on rear setback to place a shed on the property. The rear property line does not back up to any property in HVL and the side setbacks are okay. The 8’ X 12’ composite wood sided shed will have a green metal roof and the siding color is “Navajo white” with white trim. Letters will be sent out and if there are no objections received, the Architecture Committee Members all support making a recommendation to the Board of Directors for approval of the variance.
- Lindsey Schultz Jones, Lot 3003H, 1898 Fieldcrest Drive. Seeking a permit to extend their current screened in porch to cover the additional 10’ X 12’ section of the deck. Dan Tester went out to the property and said this would not work as a 50’ setback from the water must be allowed. Dave Wismann and Gina Keller went out. Dave measured and felt it was too close to the lake for this to receive an Administrative Approval. The Committee determined the requested addition of a screened in area will not extend the structure beyond what already exists; therefore the Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of a permit for this project.
- Michelle & Jeffrey Trivett, Lot 1420H/1421, 20616 Longview Drive. Seeking a permit to replace their existing deck with pressure treated wood and extending the deck to 38’ X 12’. Also adding a 33’ X 10’ concrete patio. This project received unanimous approval from the Architecture Committee but, since the deck replacement will be extensive, an additional recommendation was made to obtain a Permit from Dearborn County.
- Kurt Jones, Lot 2130H/2131, 20774 Alpine Drive. Requesting a permit to install a Ky. Board fence with a mesh liner, brown in color. Pins have been located and marked. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of a permit for this project.
- Timothy & Camille Sexton, Lot 2735H, 20552 Alpine Drive. Request for a permit to install a Kentucky board wooden fence, 4’ high with mesh liner and two 5’ gates, to be located behind the house on the property line. The pins were located. The Architecture Committee unanimously approved the issuing of a permit for this project.
- Kerry & Alison Zickuhr, Lot 1148, 20423 Meercham Way. Seeking a permit to extend the dock, 4’ X 10’ wide, into the lake to provide a step down onto their boat. After being informed of the Bylaw that limits the lower dock level to no more than 18’ below the upper dock level the property owners were not certain that change would suit their needs but agreed to adhere to the rules. With that in mind, the Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of a permit.
- Chris & Missy Windau, Lot 2332H/2331, 1744 Tali Trail. Requesting a permit to install a 16’ X 30’ 9” concrete deck and a 16’ X 16’ sunroom located at the back of the house, with a connection to their roof, tan shingles, cedar siding and most of the exterior walls will be windows. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of a permit. A recommendation was made to have the two lots contiguated.
- Robin Murphy, Lot 1290, 308 Cresthaven Drive. Requiring a permit for the construction of a New home built over a basement with a first floor area of 1521 sq. ft. The exterior siding color will be “grey flannel” with white trim, a grey shingle roof and a white front door. All setbacks were checked and are okay. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of the permit.
- Kim & Steven Johnson, Lot 2560H/2561, 20240 Alpine Drive. Requesting a permit to build an extension onto the 12’ X 20’ deck located behind their house extending 6’ to the right using trex wood, natural in color, with white rails. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of the permit.
- Bob & Cathy Lonsway, Lot 1098H, 20321 Matterhorn Drive. Needing a permit to remove an existing carport and replacing it with a 22’ X 14’ deck and stairs using trex decking. Also, to be included in the permit is permission to resurface their existing dock with composite boards, no change in color. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of the permit.
- Jim Collins, Lot 1519/1520H, 19912 Longview Drive. Needing a Permit for replacing their existing deck and extending it to 24’ X 62’ X 8’ using pressure treated wood. Also putting a roof, which will serve as a rooftop deck, above the lower deck located above a ground level patio and installing a two-story high spiral staircase from the ground level to the rooftop deck. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of the permit for these projects. A Dearborn County Permit is also required.
- Tom & Gina Armbruster, Lot 1540H, 848 Ryan Court. Needing a permit to replace shingles on their roof using brownish gray shingles, adding a new roof, 22’ 10” X 12’ 8”, over the existing patio, using the same color shingles. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to the issuing of the permit.
The following projects were AA approved and were reviewed:
- Clinton Baker, Lot 2971H/2972, 21354 Fox Ridge Road. Permit to replace the existing deck with wood and replacing allan block permanent border around the existing gravel parking pad.
- John Ciampone, Lot 2391H, 1303 Golfview Court. Replacing wooden deck boards and railings. Deck will be wood, and railings will be black aluminum.
- Kerry & Alison Zickuhr, Lot 1914H, 19902 Cravenhurst Drive. Adding a gravel driveway to the parking pad. This was approved and canceled due to lack of time. Now receiving a new permit to finish the project.
- Don Feilhauer, Lot 2074H/2073, 1508 Brabamhurst Drive. Replacing existing driveway with concrete and adding a 5’ X 24’ concrete parking pad.
The following projects were approved by Architecture Committee without a
The following projects were approved after pins were located on property: None
The following projects were Board approved: None
ApproveArchitecture Meeting Minutes for March 1, 2023.
Motion to approve by: Bob Maudlin Seconded by: Jerry Goodrich
Old Business: Bob Maudlin provided needed potential corrections to the proposed rewording of the Bylaws. Those recommendations are as follows: (1) The permanently installed metal survey stakes must be installed at ground level or below. (2) All corners of a lot must be permanently marked. (The original wording specified 4 corners. Not all lots have only 4 corners.) (3) Permeable weed mat must be installed under gravel used for parking pads. The original use of the word “plastic” is not appropriate or adequate. Bob also noted other changes may be recommended.
New Business: None
Minutes Taken by: Phil Heitz
Motion to Adjourn: Motion by: Bob Maudlin Seconded by: Jerry Goodrich
Time: 7:14 PM
Submitted by: Phil Heitz