Architecture Committee Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Committee 5:30 PM
Guest 6:00 pm
Approved Architecture Committee Meeting Minutes
Called to Order by: Tom Cross 5:30 PM
Members Present: Tom Cross, Phil Heitz, Alan Kohlhaas, Jack Schnieder, Frank Goodrich, Bob Maudlin
Members Absent: None
POA Office Staff Present: Gina Keller
Property Maintenance Compliance Officer Present: Dan Tester
Board Liaison Present: Ken Horn
Community Manager Present: No
Residents in Attendance: Pamela Minser, Carter & Meranda Gray, Amy Buysse, Rick Naltner, Bob & Kelly Will
- Pamela Minser, Lot # 612H, 1153 Sunset Drive. Seeking a Permit to install a Kentucky board split rail fence, 4’ in height, natural wood with black mesh liner. The pins have been located and checked. The Architecture Committee members unanimously approved the issuing of the Permit.
- Carter & Meranda Gray, Lots # 335/336H/337, 757 Greentree Road. Seeking a Permit to install a wooden 6’ privacy fence. The pins have been located and checked. The fence is to be installed on Lots #335 & 336H which are contiguated lots. The Architecture Committee members unanimously approved the issuing of the Permit.
- Jason & Amy Buysse, Lot # 1507H, 19807 Elm Drive. Requesting a 3’ variance on side setback for a trampoline. The Buysse’s applied for the variance, letters were sent out with no response from neighbors, sign was posted on front lawn. Seeking a recommendation to move forward from the Architectural committee. Notes from October 4, 2023 meeting: Jason & Amy Buysse, Lot # 1507H, 19807 Elm Drive. Requesting a 3’ variance on side setback for a trampoline. The Buysse’s applied for the variance, letters were sent out with no response from neighbors, and a sign was posted on the front lawn. Seeking a recommendation to move forward from the Architectural committee. The Buysse’s did not attend the Meeting and many questions have remained unanswered. Buysse’s provided the answers needed and the Architecture committee members unanimously decided to recommend the issuing of the variance at the next POA Board meeting on October 26, 2023.
- Rick Naltner, Lot # 2122, 20797 Alpine Drive. On 8/2/2023 a 357.5 sq. ft. concrete parking pad was approved. We found that an additional gravel parking pad of 1380 sq. ft. was added with no permit. After several phone conversations, Rick decided to request a 1380 sq. ft. variance for the gravel parking pad. Mr. Naltner has applied for a variance with payment. Letters were sent out to residents that have adjoining properties on September 25, 2023, and a sign was posted. Notes from October 4, 2023 meeting: Rick Naltner, Lot # 2122, 20797 Alpine Drive. On 8/2/2023 a 357.5 sq. ft. concrete parking pad was approved. The Property Maintenance compliance Officer found that an additional gravel parking pad of 1380 sq. ft. was added with no Permit. After several phone conversations, Rick decided to request a 1380 sq. ft. variance for the gravel parking pad. This issue was discussed at the September 20th meeting. This item was to be discussed at this meeting with Rick Naltner in attendance. Note: Rick Naltner did not attend the Oct. 4 meeting. This item was discussed at this Oct. 18 meeting with Mr. Naltner in attendance. The Architecture Committee Chairman, Tom Cross, informed Mr. Naltner of the rules regarding this situation. So far, only one letter from his neighbors has been received and it was negative. That neighbor objects. The Architecture Committee Members unanimously agreed to not recommend approval of the Variance request. The variance request will be presented without recommendation at the Oct. 26, 2023 POA Board Meeting. If the Board does not approve the variance, the Architecture committee will proceed with their duty to order the removal of the 1380 sq. ft. parking pad. If the variance is approved, then the Architecture Committee will need to require the parking pad be installed according to the rules regarding gravel parking pads.
- Bob & Kelly Will, 20453 Meercham Way. Kelly and Bob Will would like to discuss the garage that was approved. Notes from the August 16, 2023 meeting: Bob & Kelly Will, Lot 1149/1150H/1151, 20453 Meercham Way. Seeking a Variance requesting a 2 ft. increase in the height of the eves of their newly installed garage. Letters were sent to residents with adjoining properties, a sign was posted, the fee was paid. The POA Office received responses back from both neighbors. They now need a recommendation from the Architecture Committee to go to the Board of Directors for approval. The Will’s originally proposed a garage structure with 12 ft. high garage doors, an eve height of 14 ft., and provided drawings showing that design. During the June 21, 2023 Committee Meeting (Item #7) the Chairman pointed out the restriction on detached garages, from the Bylaws rule 4-4-32, limiting the height of the eves to 12 ft. The Will’s assured the Committee that change would be no problem, but needed to receive the Permit quickly due to scheduling issues. The Architecture Committee agreed to issue the Permit after receiving their promise to adhere to the 12 ft. limit, which they indicated on their Plot Plan and initialed that change. The Minutes from 6-21-2023, Item #7, also indicate that limit. The construction of the garage was finished and there was no change in the design from their original drawings. The garage is constructed with the 14 ft. eve height. The Committee Chairman chose to follow the Bylaws regarding Not Following Approved Plans, Bylaws section 4-25-11. The Architecture Committee unanimously agreed to grant the Will’s 90 days to bring the structure into compliance with the limits stated in the original permit, or an Assessment may be in order. At this time the Committee does not recommend the granting of the Variance. Since that August 16 meeting, Bob & Kelly Will went to a POA Board Executive Meeting to discuss this matter. The Board decided they should proceed with their discussions with the Architecture Committee following the agenda they were given. At this October 18 meeting, the Will’s presented two possible options for lowering the elevation of the eves to comply with the Bylaws. Neither option presented was finalized. The Will’s have until the expiration of that 90 day extension to finalize their plans. That expiration date is November 16, 2023. They expressed a desire to have a hearing at a POA Board Meeting. The earliest meeting they can be scheduled to attend will be the combined November/December, 2023 Board Meeting.
- Sheila & Stevens Steimle, Lots # 2747/2748H, 20655 Alpine Drive. Requesting a Permit to construct a detached 2 vehicle garage, 25’ X 28’, light gray in color, metal with stone siding. A new plot plan was submitted. The Architecture Committee decided to hold off on issuing a Permit until more complete architectural drawings are provided showing the elevations of the sides and eves of the proposed structure. The Steimle’s supplied a drawing showing the elevations and eves for the structure.That drawing satisfied the requirements and complies with the Bylaws. The Architecture Committee members unanimously approved the issuing of the Permit.
The following projects were AA approved and were reviewed:
- Angie Kathmann, Lot # 1507H, 19798 Elm Drive. Replacing existing light brown shingles with light gray shingles.
- Paul & Jennifer Houston, Lot # 1075H, 20392 Matterhorn Drive. Replacing existing front porch deck and walkway with composite material.
- Jason Ballman, Lot # 1116H, 20474 Meercham Way. Replacing brown shingles with Timberline brown cedar falls, Khaki siding and navy-blue front door and garage door. Colors on file.
- Robert Dick, Lot # 3127H, 1647 Fieldcrest Drive. Changing the dimensions of the driveway on their new build, and adding a sidewalk. The driveway will be 18’ wide at the garage and 12’ at the street. The sidewalk will be on the side of driveway, 24’ X 3’.
The following projects were approved by Architecture Committee without a
The following projects were approved after pins were located on property: None
The following projects were Board approved: None
ApproveArchitecture Meeting Minutes for October 4, 2023.
Motion by: Frank Goodrich Seconded by: Bob Maudlin
Old Business: None
New Business: Discussion of the winter meeting schedules. It was noted that the POA Board Meetings for November and December will be combined into one meeting to be held in early December. The Architecture Committee will meet only once each month in November, December, January, and February. Those Meetings will be held on the first Wednesday of each month, subject to change if a need arises.
Minutes Taken by: Phil Heitz
Motion to Adjourn:
Motion by: Alan Kohlhaas Seconded by: Jack Schnieder 7:15 PM
Submitted by: Phil Heitz