Trash & Recycling
Hidden Valley Lake is pleased to partner with Rumpke for waste and recycling collection service, included in your POA dues.
Trash Pickup Schedule:
• See the Trash Pickup Schedule for the collection day for your street. Please place trash at the curb the night before your scheduled collection.
• Collection service continues on holidays except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
• Trash service includes the collection of one large or bulky item (such as televisions, furniture or appliances) each week. Please contact the POA Office at least 2 days before your scheduled collection day to arrange pick-up.
• Trash service includes weekly curbside collection of six 35-gallon trashcans or bags. Trash containers should not exceed 50 pounds. An additional four cans or bags can be collected, if advance notice is provided.
• According to federal law, Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials or any items identified as hazardous.
• Residents can request the use of a 65- or 96-gallon Rumpke trash cart, at no additional cost. Additional trash carts are available to lease for $3.50 per month. To order, fill out the Trash & Recycle Cart Order.
• Recycling collection is on Thursdays only. Please place recycling at the curb on Wednesday evening.
• The POA Office provides the use of a 65- or 96-gallon recycling cart to each HVL residence.
• Bulky materials including drywall, concrete, bricks, dirt or rocks are not acceptable.
• Freon containing appliances (such as refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners) require special handling procedures and will only be collected if a certified CFC removal sticker is affixed to it. Please contact a heating and air conditioning service provider for information regarding proper CFC removal.
• Loose shrubbery or lumber must be bundled and tied in lengths no larger than 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. Bundles should not exceed 50 pounds. Leaves and grass must be placed in bags.
• Drums, barrels and boxes aren’t acceptable trash containers and will be assumed trash. Rumpke will not replace these containers.
Acceptable for Recycling:
• Plastic bottles and jugs
• Glass bottles and jars
• Aluminum cans
• Steel cans and lids
• Paperboard (like cereal boxes)
• Envelopes and junk mail
• Newspapers, magazines and inserts
• Telephone books and catalogs
Dearborn County Recycling Center
Dearborn County residents may also recycle large items or hazardous materials at the Dearborn County Recycling Center.
10700 Prospect Lane, off Route 50
Aurora, IN, 47001
Monday – Friday | 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday – Friday | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Wednesday | 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Yard Waste Collection Site
The Natural Resources Management Program provides Hidden Valley Lake POA members the use of a yard waste collection site to dispose of brush, leaves, small tree branches, and grass clippings. Please do not dump on HVL vacant lots, ravines or greenspaces. Decaying organic materials can lead to contaminated runoff that ultimately enters our lakes and streams creating oxygen deficits in the water.
Take your debris to the yard-waste dumpster located near the POA maintenance buildings, across from the community garden. Follow the gravel road directly across from the guardhouse at the front entrance. We suggest you place the materials on a tarp in your vehicle for easier loading and unloading. For your safety, wear gloves when handling yard waste.
If the dumpster is full, do not dump your material that day. Please contact Maintenance or the POA office. They will either compact the material in the dumpster to free up space or contact Rumpke for a replacement dumpster.
The drop-off site is open from 9 a.m. to noon on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, or by appointment.
Plastic garbage bags
Branches with nails
Internet/Phone/TV: (orange flags)
• Comcast: 1-800-XFINITY
• Century Link: 866-770-1479
• Cincinnati Bell: 1-800-CINBELL
• DirecTV (satellite): 1-800-567-1663
• DishTV (satellite): 1-800-676-1329
• Indicom (phone only): 1-800-929-4634
Electric: (red flags)
Water & Sewer: (blue flags)
Natural Gas: (yellow flags)
• Utility Pipeline LTD
• Non-emergency: 888-863-0032
• 24-hour gas emergencies: 888-784-6160
Propane Gas: Contact your propane provider.
Call 811 Before You Dig
To preserve the natural beauty of the terrain in Hidden Valley Lake, water, sewer, gas electric, cable and telephone lines are underground. Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or mailbox? Homeowners and excavators are required by law to call before you dig.
You must call at least 48 hours in advance of digging. It is a free call and there is no cost to the homeowner to have underground utilities located. The utility companies will mark the underground facilities with paint and flags. Allow two full working days for lines to be marked. Dig test holes carefully to determine the exact location and depth of the buried utility. Damage to natural gas lines may cause leakage resulting in fire or explosion.
Avoid wait times on the phone by using 811NOW.com to enter your request for single property utility line marking. Follow the instructions on the webpage. You must disable pop-up blockers to successfully use this site.